• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Irish Buildings

Started by Revol, August 30, 2007, 10:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revol

Hi everyone! I hope it's not bad etiquette to request BAT's when you are a noob like me. Some of you might recognise me from Simtropolis where I had the Ruritania C.J.

Anyway, I am from Dublin, and have always wished that there were more Irish buildings for Sim City. Besides Glenni's excellent Dublin Spire, nothing else exists...to my knowledge. So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Here are some pics of my favourite buildings in Dublin, that will hopefully inspire some of the awesome talents on this forum :)

The G.P.O (Ireland's post office headquarters, and one of the most important buildings in Irish history, as it was the headquarters of the rebels in the 1916 Easter rising)

Dublin City Hall

Christ Church Cathedral

The Four Courts (Irelands supreme court)

The Customs House (now housing the Department of the Enviornment and Heritage)

thanks for looking! :)

rooker1

Fantastic pictures of some really nice buildings.  Some of these would make great additions to the game.  Maybe someone will take them.  Good luck.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Cead Mile Failte Revol

Its wonderful to see pics of home even though I come from Cork. yes i too would love to see some of our classical building on the LEX and I second your request.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Revol

Thanks rooker! Thanks TeaCat, it's great to see another Irish person here  :) There are some great buildings in Cork too, I really like the city hall in particular...

TheTeaCat

Revol Hi mate

Thanks for posting the pic of the city hall. Its a magnificant builing and the interior is something else too. I remember working at the Lord Mayors official City dinner for the 800th Anniversay of the city (was in the catering business) and the interior decoration is amazing in its detail.

One of my Favouties Buildings is St. Annes church or better known as Shandon Bells or Shandon Cathedral.

Its better known as the four faced liar ;)
little bit of history here
The Four-Faced Liar's name refers to a church steeple in Cork, Ireland, birthplace of owner/manager Conor O'Sullivan.

The northside of the City of Cork is dominated by St. Anne's Church and its curious steeped tower. The Shandon Bells, as the cathedral is also known, was built in 1722 on the ruins of Shandon Castle, its tower faced with two silvery limestone and two reddish sandstone walls, summarizing the local geology. From these the colours of the Cork hurling and football teams are taken.

Another curious aspect of the clock is its golden weather-cock, graced not with a rooster, but a giant salmon, indicating the importance of the fishing industry of the River Lee to the citizenry of two centuries ago. Nine feet high, the 'fish of Shandon' has long remained one of the most familiar features on the Cork landscape.

According to one source, the clock on St. Anne's Church was one of the first public clocks in Cork City. The idea for the clock was proposed by Councillor Delay at a meeting of Cork Corporation in 1843. He spoke of the hardship imposed on many working-class people who were unable to tell the time, as many of them did not own watches or clocks. He was supported by some of the medical profession in the city as they argued that many poor people were in danger of poisoning themselves by not knowing the times when prescribed medicines should be taken. (We can only wonder that the primary famine-era concern involved medicine rather than employment — presumably there were not many jobs for workers to be late to.) At a meeting of Cork Corporation on the 23rd May 1843 it was agreed that a grant of £250.00 be provided for the design and construction of a clock. James Mangan, a Cork architect and clockmaker won the public competition to design the clock. Cork Corporation determined that the clock should stay in public ownership rather than be the property of the Church of Ireland. To this end they appointed 4 men, at an annual cost of £13.00, to maintain the clock. A local craftsman, Daniel Thresher, built the clock at a cost of £18.00. In 1847, at the height of the Irish Famine, the clock was installed in the church. Though sophisticated in its design and extremely large by the standards of the day, the clock apparently failed to keep the same time on each of its four faces, leading locals to dub it "The Four-Faced Liar," a joke also made in reference to a clock outside of Birmingham, England, among others.

The Four-Faced Liar appreciates the idea that time is not an absolute, but rather relies on perception. Just as each of the clock's faces renders its own version of the time, work-time and leisure-time can pass at different rates. The bartenders at the Four-Faced Liar do pledge, however, to help the citizenry take their "prescriptions" on time.

This is one building I'd love to see in the game :D

Thanks for starting this thread
Kettle's on  :thumbsup: want one?

TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

callagrafx

Quote from: Revol on September 02, 2007, 03:51:44 AM
There are some great buildings in Cork too, I really like the city hall in particular...

This is my favourite...On the road from Ringaskiddy to Monkstown.  They serve the best pint of Murphy's in Ireland.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Citynut

I might be interested in taking on that church
I'm nutty and I Bat and they're coming for me with the white coats again

TheTeaCat

:D :D :D

Oh that would be superb. Its one of the most famous landmarks in Cork and I would love if you would consider it. I can get more pics if you require just let me know :D

regards
TTC

Citynut

Quote from: TheTeaCat on September 02, 2007, 06:47:46 AM
:D :D :D

Oh that would be superb. Its one of the most famous landmarks in Cork and I would love if you would consider it. I can get more pics if you require just let me know :D

regards
TTC
Yes that would be super if you could

Emperor Stormont

OMG Finally some other have requested Irish Buildings.......

We have some truly stunning architecture on this island and about time we got some of them into the game  ;)

I'd love to see the Customs House and Four Courts. I may as well add some from Northern Ireland.

Stormont - Home to the Northern Ireland Assembly (government)

Albert Clock

Belfast Customs House

Scottish Provident Building

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Revol

TeaCat - That is a beautiful church, and it really dominates the skyline. The history was an interesting read, thanks! It would be great to see it in the game  :)

callagrafx - That's a really beautiful pub! I love the Murphys pub BAT you made, it's one of my favourite buildings.

Citynut - *fingers crossed* I hope you can!  :)

belfastuniguy - Belfast has some stunning architecture, all of those buildings would be wonderful in Sim City. Speaking of Belfast, the City Hall has to be one of my favourite buildings on the whole island, I've always wished I could BAT it myself  :D

Revol

Citynut is interested in taking on Christ Church Cathedral  :) and has asked me to post some more pictures of it:
(larger photos are links)

information:
CATHEDRAL DIMENSIONS
Cathedral and Chapter House    284ft    106.0m
Cathedral E/W interior    192ft    69.8m
Transepts N/S interior    98ft    35.7m
Vault height    68ft    24.7m
Crypt E/W interior    175ft    63.4m
Central tower and Cross    158ft    48.0m

Front of Cathedral with link bridge to Synod House on the left

Cathedral Front

Cathedral Front 3/4 view

Cathedral Front from lawn

Synod Hall

Link Bridge 1

Link Bridge 2

Cathedral Rear

Rear of Cathedral and Synod House

3/4 view of front of the Cathedral

Front of Cathedral (with ruins of 13th century Chapter House on the lawn)

View of link bridge from the Cathedral to the Synod House. (main road passes underneath)

3/4 Rear of Cathedral (from behind the bridge)

Rear of Cathedral

rooker1

Beautiful pictures.  This type of architecture is so incredible.  We can never have enough churhes for SC4.  This will make a very fine addition.  As for the rest of the pictures thanks for sharing, it looks like very old city.
I would love to see more.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Emperor Stormont

Chirstchurch would be a fabulous addition, I stayed in the Jurys opposite the Church way way back in Primary school and it looks amazing. Always loved it.

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Yoder7652

so many great buildings....so little time.... ()sad()

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Emperor Stormont

Another from me, this is a very complicated building due to the various different facades. It's Odyssey Building in Belfast, built to mark the Millenium in Belfast it is home to the Belfast IMAX, cinema, bars, resturants, clubs as well as the Odyssey Arena, concert venue and home to the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey Team

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Citynut

Thank ypu very much for the pics - I hope i can do the church as beautiful as the pics are

Strechnitz

Hello all.

Revol, I am very happy that you started this thread. The buildings displayed by you and also by Belfastuniguy and TTC are beautiful. They would be wonderful additions to any MD. I second every one of them. They are stupendous. My personal favorite at this moment is the four courts building. you got to love that drum rotunda! ;D A true palace of justice would be quite welcome to Stropon

Good luck batting the chuch Citynut. I am sure you will do a fine job. :thumbsup:

Are there other batters who can be seduced into batting these beauties? %wrd

Strechnitz.
Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

Revol

Strechnitz - Yeah the Four Courts would be a wonderful addition to Stropon and Sim City, there is definitely not enough court/palace of justice buildings around!  :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I will add a few more architectural gems from Dublin that will hopefully inspire...

The Davenport Hotel (formerly Merrion Hall, a protestant evangelical meeting place, built in 1914. The actual structure burnt down but the facade was saved, and the whole building was restored in 1993.)

St Stephens Church (better known as the Pepper Canister church)

Fusiliers Arch (Sometimes known as "Traitors Gate" is at the entrance to St Stephens Green park in the centre of Dublin. It commemorates the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who lost their lives in Second Boer War in South Africa)